Problematic Childrearing Practices
1. Rick Hanson, Buddha’s Brain (Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications, 2009).
2. Gabor Maté, When the Body Says No: The Cost of Hidden Stress (Toronto: Random House of Canada Limited, 2004).
3. Vincent J. Felitti, Robert F. Anda, Dale Nordenberg, David F. Williamson, Alison M. Spitz, Valerie Edwards, Mary P. Koss, and James S. Marks, “Relationship of Childhood Abuse and Household Dysfunction to Many of the Leading Causes of Death in Adults,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 14, no. 4 (May 1998): 245–258, http://www.ajpmonline.org/article/PIIS0749379798000178/abstract; Vincent J. Felitti, “The Relationship of Adverse Childhood Experiences to Adult Health: Turning Gold into Lead,” http://www.acestudy.org/files/Gold_into_Lead-_Germany1-02_c_Graphs.pdf.
If you would like to take the ACEs survey, go to http://acestoohigh.com/got-your-ace-score/
4. Charles Whitfield, “Adverse Childhood Experiences and Trauma,” American Journal of Preventive Medicine 14, no. 4 (May 1998): 361–64.
5. Lance Morrow, Heart: A Memoir (New York: Warner Books, 1995).
6. American Psychological Association, “Corporal Punishment,” policy statement, http://www.apa.org/about/policy/corporal-punishment.aspx.
8. Murray A. Strauss, quoted in Bernadette J. Saunders and Chris Goddard, Physical Punishment in Childhood: The Rights of the Child (New York: John Wiley and Sons, 2010). Also read Strauss’s book Beating the Devil Out of Them: Corporal Punishment in American Families and its Effects on Children (New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction, 2001).
9. Robin Kittrelle, review of For Your Own Good: Hidden Cruelty in Child-Rearing and the Roots of Violence, 3rd ed., by Alice Miller, The Permanente Journal 6, no. 1 (Winter 2002): 94–95, http://xnet.kp.org/permanentejournal/winter02/owngood.html.
10. Joan E. Durrant, Ron Ensom, and the Coalition on Physical Punishment of Children and Youth, Joint Statement on Physical Punishment of Children and Youth(Ottawa: Coalition on Physical Punishment of Children and Youth, 2004).
11. Personal conversation with Kristen Caven.
12. Pam Leo, Connection Parenting: Parenting through Connection instead of Coercion, through Love instead of Fear, 2nd ed. (Deadwood, OR: Wyatt-MacKenzie Publishing, 2007).
13. Adapted from Jane Nelsen, Lynn Lott, and H. Stephen Glenn, Positive Discipline A-Z: 1001 Solutions to Everyday Parenting Problems, rev. ed. (New York: Three Rivers Press, 2007), 1–2.
14. Charles L. Whitfield, “Adverse Childhood Experiences and Trauma.”