Hardwired for Resilience
1. YouthARTS, “Glossary,” 2003, http://www.americansforthearts.org/youtharts/glossary.asp.
2. City of Mukilteo, Washington, “At Risk Youth–Definition,” http://user.govoutreach .com/mukilteo/faq.php?cid=5948.
3. UN-HABITAT, “UrbanYouth-At-Risk in Latin America and the Caribbean and the Key Role of Local Authorities in Addressing Youth and Crime and Promoting Citizenship Among Youth,” 2003, http://ww2.unhabitat.org/programmes/safercities/uyr.asp.
4. This concept is from Jane Middelton-Moz, Will to Survive (Deerfield Beach, FL:HCI Books, 1992).
5. Staff Writers, “15 Famous and Successful People Who Were Bullied in School,” Online Colleges, November 2, 2011, http://www.onlinecolleges.net/2011/11/02/15-famous-successful-people-bullied-school/.
6. Gabor Maté, Scattered, interview by Tracy Frisch, “What Ails Us,” Sun Magazine, August 2012.
7. Ishmael Beah, A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier (New York: Sarah Crichton Books, 2007).
8. Workplace Bullying Institute, “The WBI 3-Step Action Plan,” http://www.workplacebullying.org/individuals/solutions/wbi-action-plan/.
9. Ending Violence Association of British Colombia, “End Violence Together Fact Sheet: Acquaintance Rape,” http://www.endingviolence.org/files/uploads/Aquaintance_Rape_Fact_Sheet-1.pdf.
10. Rape, Abuse, and Incest National Network, “How Often Does Sexual Assault Occur?,” 2009, http://www.rainn.org/get-information/statistics/frequency-of-sexual-assault.
11. United States Army, “Comprehensive Soldier and Family Fitness,” http://csf2.army.mil/index.html.
12. Jane Gilham and Karen Reivich, “Description of PRP Lessons,” Penn Resiliency Project, Penn Positive Psychology Center, www.ppc.sas.upenn.edu/prplessons.pdf.
13. K. Dodge, “A Social Information Processing Model of Social Competence in Children,” in Cognitive Perspectives on Children’s Social and Behavioral Development, ed. M. Perlmutter (Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 1986); K. A. Dodge, and C. L. Frame, “Social Cognitive Biases and Deficits in Aggressive Boys,” Child Development 53, no. 3 (1982): 620–35.
14. Bonnie Benard, Resiliency (San Francisco: WestEd, 2004).
15. Jonathan Cohen, quoted in Sam Goldstein and Robert B. Brooks, eds., Handbook of Resilience in Children, 2nd ed. (New York: Springer Publisher, 2013).